- Your gums bleed easily
- Your gums are very red, tender and/or swollen
- You can see pus in between your teeth and gums when they are pressed
- You have chronic bad breath or a bad taste in your mouth
- You notice a change in your bite or in the way your teeth fit together
- Your teeth are loose or they are separating
- The fit of your partial dentures have changed
Gum disease is caused by plaque & tartar remaining around the gum lines of the teeth. The bacteria in plaque produce acids & other toxins that can destroy bone & gum tissue over a period of time. The only way to remove tartar is to have your teeth professionally cleaned by your dentist.